Thursday, February 4, 2010

Why I Joined the TEAM by Ann-Marie Schell

I joined Team In Training in 2007 because I needed help training for my first half marathon. I had no personal connection to the Mission but knew I was going to sign up minutes in to the informational meeting, and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I not only completed my first endurance event, but I also developed a life-long love for running, not to mention learning how to run properly! More importantly though, I made life-long friends and learned about the fight against blood cancers. I was hooked after my first season; I wanted to keep running, stay in touch with my new friends and continue the fight, so I signed up to be a mentor. As a mentor, I logged more miles and watched as my teammates raised more and more money.

I took a year off from Team In Training while I lived overseas. I signed up to mentor straightaway after coming back and was so excited for our first Saturday morning run. It was great to see old friends as well as meet new teammates and old alumni who were back for more also. At some point in the season, something changed though. The more time I spent with Team In Training, the more I began to feel surrounded and overwhelmed by the pain that cancer causes. It seemed everyone I talked to had a sad story to share about loved ones who endured horrific and crippling treatments while trying to overcome these diseases. And although survival rates are higher than ever, beating the initial disease is just the beginning of the fight, because many survivors have to endure life-long side effects from the treatments that saved their lives. I might have become discouraged even, were it not for the amazing people running beside me every Saturday. No matter how hard I try, I cannot even begin to imagine what it must be like for people who have struggled with blood cancer, and I am beyond inspired by their positive attitude and determination not only to find cures but to find more humane treatments. Every story is a sad one and upsets me just a little bit more, but every story I hear is a reminder of why it is so important that we all keep fighting. So, I'm back at it again for the summer season, and I could not be more excited!

GO TEAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment