Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tornadoes Can't Rain on a TNT Parade! - By Elizabeth Merce



The trip started with a belly full of butterflies and a carry-on full of running gear. Arriving in Nashville, my hopes were high for a beautiful weekend. The first night in Nashville included a dinner at the Big River Grill, $5 cowboy hats, and drinks at Tootsies. The weather was perfect! Blue skies and the temperature was just right.



The second day in Nashville started with my favorite activity- running! My group had the chance to take a short run with the group from the National Capital team. We ran through Honky Tonk row to the river and back to the hotel. While we only went a couple of miles I was relieved to find the hills were not the challenge I originally thought. My husband and I spent the rest of the day exploring the city on foot. We were pleased to find how pedestrian friendly Nashville is.


Friday night we attended the Inspiration Dinner. I ate so much amazing food I even had to take pictures of it so I could believe it later! The dinner was so emotional. We heard stories of amazing fundraisers and even more amazing fighters. Hearing about how my little acts of fundraising have made a difference in someone’s life moved me to tears. Those little efforts I put in really help find treatments! To top off such a great dinner I got to take a picture with the MC of the night- the PENGUIN!!!


Saturday morning started off with clear skies and warm temperatures. The forecast was for strong thunderstorms including the chance of tornadoes. I was nervous about the weather, especially since I’m terrified of lightning. Aside from the weather I felt more prepared than I had for anything I had done in my life. Coach Bob transformed me from a hesitant runner into a marathoner!


The support on the course was phenomenal! Everywhere I looked there were Team in Training supporters. Even those in their yards were shouting “Go Team!” The hills seemed to disappear as I heard the cheers of the supporters and remembered just how many people rely on what Team in Training does.


By mile 9 I was feeling great, the sun was still shining and I felt as though I might be able to beat the impending storms. As I approached mile 10 the clouds really started to roll in. Mile 11 met me with course marshals telling me that the full course was closed because of the weather and I would only be allowed to complete the half course. I began to feel moisture on my face. It wasn’t rain, but tears. I worked so hard for so many months only to be told that I wouldn’t be allowed to even try to reach my goal.


I understood what they did was best for the runners, supporters, and staff on the course. I was torn between knowing that I reached the more important fundraising goal while feeling disappointed that I own a marathon medal for completing a half marathon.


Partying at the Wildhorse Saloon with my fellow Team in Training participants helped alleviate some of my unhappiness. By the time I landed on the ground at home I was much happier about the entire trip knowing that I had accomplished my main task- raising money for an amazing organization.


No comments:

Post a Comment